Thursday, July 30, 2009

Technocracy- Extra Points

As I have promised all those days ago, to conclude the series of posts about technocracy, I would like to add a few extra points.

Reducing TD numbers:
There's a lot of talk nowadays about reducing the number of TDs in Ireland. This is usually the main issue when it comes down to talking about a reform of the political system in Ireland. That is why the reform of technocracy has to, I believe, include this topic too. To be honest, I personally am fully for reducing the number of TDs in Ireland. We are a state of the population of somewhere around 4 million and have 166 TDs, while the European Parliament has 736 MEPs and governs over something of 500 million citizens. Furthermore a lot of the decision making and legislation has been passed onto to the EU and thus there is no need for the number of the TDs to stand the way it is. However, as for technocracy itself, it doesn't need a reduction of TD numbers to function. Some might even suggest that the number of the TDs should increase under technocracy to help to control the cabinet of experts. Therefore, Breakthrough would be open to discussion on this topic, and would consider the reduction of TD numbers as a minor issue.

Abolition of the Seanad:
Yet again this is a point that comes up frequently while talking about a political reform in Ireland, however it doesn't affect technocracy to a large degree. However, Breakthrough would like to see the institution of Seanad to be fully reformed with greater powers and more transparency or abolished completely because the current model is simply only taking away taxpayers money. If you would like to know how this reform would look, please write to me and I will make it my priority to write this up. However, if none such request will be made I will concentrate on other important issues for the movement and then come back to the Seanad later, as it doesn't affect the reform of technocracy directly.

Correction of my statements regarding the President's role:
After I have written the post about the President's role under technocracy I detected certain about of scepticism of having a politically involved President. I would like to express myself more clearly here, when I say that yes the President would have to take a more active role in the political life of the country but must stay above the politics. This might sound like a contradiction, however what I mean by it is that the President must stay above the party politics while keeping in my the citizen's of the country he/she is fully responsible for and protect their best interest. Thus the increase of powers as advocated in the previous post.

No comments:

Post a Comment